The cornerstone of all Vytran splicing systems, filament fusion is the most consistent, reliable method for producing high-strength, low-loss splices on the market today.
Features & Benefits
- Unique filament fusion technologyCreates high-strength, low-loss splices
- Tunable filament temperatureSplices fibers of many diameters
- Various filament typesAccommodates broad range of applications – splicing – combiners – couplers – end-caps
- Fast, repeatable processAllows quick, high-strength splices
- Fire polishingEnhances splice strength
- Fire polishingEnables low-loss fusion splices between dissimilar fibers
Vytran’s patented fire polishing process significantly increases splice strength through a rapid, post-fusion heat treatment of the splice region. When a fusion splice is made, silica evaporate off of the hot center region of the splice and condense on either side of the joint where the fiber is cooler. The condensed silica deposits act as a surface flow, lowering splice strength. Our fire polishing process removes or minimizes the deposits, thereby improving splice strength. In addition, the fire polishing process provides core diffusion capabilities that can be used to adiabatically expand the mode field diameter of a fiber. This thermally expanded core (TEC) process allows extremely low-loss fusion splices between markedly dissimilar fibers.